Stansted, Essex CM24
Built in 1991 as an airport. Service distribution systems are contained
within the 'trunks' of the structural 'trees' that rise from the
undercroft through the concourse floor. These trees support a roof
canopy that is freed simply to keep out the rain and let in light.
Zone 1: City of London
Tower of London
London EC3N 4AB
1, Tower Place
Great Tower St and
The Monument to
the Great Fire of
Christopher Wren and
Fish Street Hill
St Margaret Pattens
Fenchurch Street 30
Saint Olave Church
8 Hart Street
Built in 1894 as a bridge which was originally the only crossing for the
Thames. It took 8 years, 5 major contractors and the relentless labor
of 432 construction workers to build Tower Bridge. Tours are
available Mon-Sun (10-18). General admission £8.00, £5.60 students.
Built in 1078 as a Medieval castle. The White Tower, which gives the
entire castle its name, was built by William the Conqueror in 1078. The
peak period of the castle's use as a prison was the 16th and 17th
centuries, when many figures that had fallen into disgrace, such as
Elizabeth I before she became queen, were held within its walls. In the
First and Second World Wars, the Tower was again used as a prison,
and witnessed the executions of 12 men for espionage. Tours include
includes access to the Tower and the Crown Jewels display and other
exhibitions. Tue-Sat (9.30-16.30) Sun-Mon (10-16.30). General admission
£21.45, £18.15 students.
Built in 2002 as a low-rise, energy-conscious office building for the
Willis Faber & Dumas Headquarters. The development is configured in
two blocks, broadly triangular in plan. Beautiful glazed atrium which is
one of the largest such spaces in Europe.
Built in 2004 as an office building. It is famous for its stone façade,
which structurally supports the floors and modulates sunlight
penetration while also providing shading and depth to the façade.
Built in 1677 as a stone Roman Doric column to commemorate the
Great Fire of London. It stands where the Great Fire started on 2
September 1666. It is the tallest isolated stone column in the world
and was built on the site of St. Margaret's, Fish Street, the first
church to be burnt down by the Great Fire. The top of the Monument
is reached by a narrow winding staircase of 311 steps. A mesh cage
was added in the mid-19th century at the top of the Monument to
prevent people jumping off, after six people had committed suicide
from the structure between 1788 and 1842. Amazing panoramic views
from the top. Mon-Sun (9.30-17.30). General admission £3. Joint tickets
with Tower Bridge cost £9.
Built in 1687 as a new church over the old one destroyed by the
Great Fire of 1666 and is one of only a few City churches to have
escaped significant damage in the WWII. The church's exterior is
notable for its 200-ft high spire, Wren's third highest and the only
one that he designed in a medieval style.
Built in 2004 as one of the largest office developments in London of
recent times. The whole project fills an entire block, incorporating an
existing earlier office building. Part of an urban development by Arup
of which also includes Plantation Place South.
Built in the 13th C as a church and one of the smallest in the City
and is one of only a handful of medieval City churches that escaped
the Great Fire of London in 1666. It is deservedly famous for the
macabre 1658 entrance arch to the churchyard, which is decorated with
grinning skulls. Mon-Sun (9-17).
71 Fenchurch Street
51 Lime St.
1 Lime St
30 Saint Mary Axe
Bury Street 1-4
R. Seifert &
25 Old Broad Street
Kohn Pedersen Fox
and Arup Associates
1-10 Bishop's Square
1-10 Bishop's Square
Skidmore Owings &
20 Primrose Street
Skidmore Owings &
12 Exchange Square
1 Finsbury Avenue
1 Finsbury Avenue
50 Finsbury Square
50 Finsbury Square
Moor Ln and Chiswell
Chiswell Street 60
Built in 1999 as part of the Lloyd's insurance company buildings.
Detailed elements of the design include service cores expressed as
separate elements attached to the ends of the office blocks,
articulating the edges of the building at one end and outwards the
river at the other. These cores contain primary circulation (lifts and
stairs) facing the churchyard, while secondary cores contain toilets,
goods lifts and staircases, as well as the main service risers.
Built in 2007 as Willis Faber & Dumas HQ (the insurance company). The
two buildings are developed as a series of overlapping curved shells
while its section is arranged in three steps.
Built in 1979 as the home of the insurance institution Lloyd's of
London. Like the Pompidou Centre in Paris the building is a leading
example of radical Bowellism architecture in which the services for the
building, such as ducts and lifts, are located on the exterior to
maximize space in the interior. It consists of three main towers and
three service towers around a central, rectangular space.
Built in 2003 as the Swiss Re Headquarters and it was London’s first
ecological tall building. With 41 floors, the tower is 180 meters (591 ft)
tall. The restaurant located on this building can only be used by
members, it's a shame.
Built in 1916 as an office building and it was the first example of a
steel frame structure in Europe. It is believed that Berlage's design
for Holland House was inspired by the work of Louis Sullivan after a
trip to the States in 1911.
Built in 1980 as an office tower and it houses the National
Westminster Bank's international division. It's the 7th tallest building
in London. Amazing skyline views from Vertigo 42, the rooftop bar
(reservations requested in advance).
Built in 2011 as an office tower. With 230 m tall 755 (ft) and 46
storeys, it's one of the highest buildings of London. Amazing skyline
views from the rooftop's restaurant.
Built in 2010 as a commercial building for developers Minerva. It's part
of a redevelopment of the former London Stock Exchange site.
Built in 1715 as part of the church building program initiated by the
Fifty New Churches act of 1711, backed by Queen Anne. The Commission
appointed to build the 50 new churches stipulated that the new
buildings should have tall spires so that they would tower above the
smaller, non-conformist chapels. The Commissioners for the new
churches included Christopher Wren, Thomas Archer, John Vanbrugh
and Hawksmoor as a surveyor. Only twelve of the planned fifty
churches were built, of which six were designed by Hawksmoor.
Built in 2005 as Allen & Overy HQ and it completes the regeneration
of the historically important Spitalfields neighborhood. The
development includes the restoration of the old market buildings along
Brushfield St, with a new covered pedestrian route behind. Comprising
a new covered market area, retail space, offices, along with
apartments, community facilities, cafés and restaurants, the scheme
has transformed the market into an eclectic, bustling urban quarter.
Built in 2009 as an office skyscraper. The tower has a criss-cross
style steel beaming over the windows making it have a very strong
appearance. The beaming is similar to the Bank of China Tower in
Hong Kong. As the tower lies over major railway lines all work had
to be stopped whenever a train was in the vicinity of the station.
Built in 1987 as an office building (Foreign & Colonial Investment
Trust, Herbert Smith and Societe Generale). The ten-storey office
building is effectively an inhabited bridge, with a frame supported on
a primary structure of four parabolic segmented tied arches.
Built in 1998 as an office building. It was part of the massive
Broadgate development around Liverpool St station. The upper floors
are set back to reduce the perceived height and to help create a
sympathetic scale with older, existing buildings to the west.
Built in 2001 as Bloomberg HQ. Its situation on the square carried
with it some constraints, including cornice and height limitations, and
the requirement for a stone building to suit the character of the
existing traditional buildings.
Built in 2009 as an office building using the existing foundations.
The design is based on a simplified Chinese puzzle, with six largescale interlocking cubic forms that rise up as a series of amazing
Built in 1991 as an office building and is believed to feature one of
the first examples of a ventilated triple facade in the UK. In 2007,
the building was completely refurbished by Squire & Partners, who
increased the net internal area and created a new central entrance
on Chiswell Street.
Beech St. and Silk St. Built in 1976 as part of the Barbican complex. Brutalist architecture.
Aldersgate St. and
Guy Morgan and
Museum of London
Philip Powell and
150 London Wall
One London Wall
London Wall 1
88 Wood Street
88 Wood Street
120 London Wall
1 Coleman Street
1 Coleman Street
St Alban Church
100 Wood Street
100 Wood Street
25 Gresham Street
25 Gresham Street
Saint Mary Le Bow
No 1 Poultry
1, Poultry St
Saint Mary Woolnoth
Lombard and King
New Court Rothschild
Office for Metropolitan
Beech Street and
Alley of St Swithin’s
Built in 1976 as part of the Barbican complex.
Built in 1974 as a residential tower and it was one of the joint three
tallest residential towers in the U.K with its partners until the
completion of Pan Peninsula in London's docklands in 2009. The
brutalist style of the building makes it unique.
Built in 1971 as a residential tower and part of a complex designed
by Chamberlin, Powell and Bon .The estate was built between 1965
and 1976, on a 35-acre (14 ha) site that had been bombed in WWII.
The estate of 40 acres (16 ha) was officially opened in 1969 and is
now home to around 4,000 people living in 2,014 flats. The flats
reflect the widespread use in Britain in the 1960s and 1970s of
concrete as the visible face of the building (brutalist style).
Built in 1936 as an Art Deco residential building. It features an
impressive curved façade, a roof garden and a basement swimming
pool. The walls were built in beige bricks and placed over a steel
frame. The building became the fictional residence of Agatha
Christie's Poirot, known as Whitehaven Mansions.
Built in 1976 as part of the Barbican Estate re-development within a
bomb-damaged area. Collection includes the history of London from
prehistoric to modern times with original artifacts, models, pictures
and diagrams, with a strong emphasis on archaeological discoveries.
Mon-Sun (10-18). FREE admission.
Built in 2003 as an office building. It sits above the hq of the
Worshipful Company of Plaisterers and their two Adam style halls,
which gives the scheme an impression of being windowless.
Built in 2001 as a commercial skyscraper. It previously housed two
telephone exchange buildings. The massing of the building allows
controlled daylight to penetrate the office floors. Its triple-glazed
active façade is formed of single panels, each 3m x 4m, of highly
transparent float glass. The inner faces of the external panes have a
low emissivity coating which further reduces internal solar gain.
Built in 2005 as a 19-storey office development. It was the first
building to be designed for the forthcoming London Crossrail, with a
shaft to the station underneath the building. It has the deepest
foundations in London, which reach down 57 m (187 ft) and are
specifically designed to withstand further tunneling below.
Built in 2007 as an office tower and it's one of the most distinctive
buildings in the area. It has a conventional steel frame structure and
is egg-shaped in plan. The façade is amazing. On each floor, rather
than being parallel with the slab edge, all the windows are skewed a
few degrees slightly to one side, with the windows on the floor above
and below, skewed by an equal amount in the opposite direction.
Of medieval origin, it was rebuilt in 1634, destroyed in the Great Fire
of London in 1666, and rebuilt once again, this time to a Gothic design.
It was severely damaged by bombing during the Second World War, and
the ruins cleared, leaving only the tower. It remains as a private
dwelling on a traffic island.
Built in 2000 as an office building with two faces. The east façade, to
Wood Street, is a conservative and simple arrangement of alternating
stone piers and windows, all in response to planning requirements.
This is crowned by a curved diagrid (almost Post-Modern?) roof,
featuring alternating opaque and transparent panels.
Built in 2002 as Lloyds-TSB’s head office.
Built in 1683 as an English Renaissance church and is one of the fiftyone city churches that Sir Christopher Wren replaced following the
Great Fire of London in 1666. Statue of Captain John Smith of
Jamestown, founder of Virginia and former parishioner of the church.
Built in 1997 but originally intended to be the site of an office tower
designed by Mies van der Rohe in the manner of the Seagram Building in
New York. That scheme was aborted and resulted in what the readers
of Time Out magazine, voted the fifth worst building in London. Coq
d'Argent restaurant, on the rooftop, offers amazing skyline views.
Built in 1724 as a Georgian church and it was the least conventional
of all Hawksmoor's churches. The present building is at least the 3rd
church on the site and t is currently used by London's Germanspeaking Swiss community.
Built in 2011 as the new Rothschild Bank Headquarters and it was
OMA's first completed building in London. The top of this central cube
features a landscaped roof garden with outdoor meeting areas but if
you ask nicely they might let you go up and take some pictures.
Bush Lane House
60 Queen Victoria
One New Change
Saint Nicholas Cole
Sir John Lyon House
Saint Bride's Church
Daily Express Building
Built in 1976 as an office tower. This building was intended to straddle
the proposed Jubilee Line extension along Fleet Street. Consequently
the designers were faced with the problem of having restricted access
to the ground and where foundations could be located. To overcome
80 Cannon St
these difficulties, the building sits on four pairs of huge circular
columns. Sprouting from these is a connected, diagonal grid of tubes,
which act structurally to carry all the column free floor plates, and
also provide bracing.
The original station, designed by John Hawkshaw and JW Barry and
opened in 1866, had a glazed barrel vault, like a great engine shed
with flanking towers at the end of a bridge across the Thames.
Damaged by Second World War bombing, the vault was replaced by
what Pevsner dubbed ‘a tall and dull curtain walled office slab’
crouching over the commuter station, designed by John Poulson,
completed in 1965 and now replaced by Foggo Associates’
development in 2011. Amazing scenic lifts.
Built in 2010 as the new office headquarters for a major corporation.
The facade is articulated as a series of bays, which refer to the
domestic scale of the buildings that originally stood here and have the
effect of extending the site boundary to optimize the plan area.
Built in 1687 as a Baroque church. Within a rectangular outline is
nested a square space defined by twelve columns and covered by a
Built in 1999 as a straight-forward office block, but it is the bronze
60 Queen Victoria Street façade that sets this building apart. It sits immediately next door to
Stirling's No. 1 Poultry.
Built in 2010 as a shopping mall and a major office. Opposite St. Paul's
1 New Change
Cathedral, it led to some controversy during its planning and
construction, including criticism from Prince Charles. Impressive interiors.
Built in 2010 as a public infrastructure and is part of a development
in a high-profile, sensitive location. It is a new public space containing
a pre-existing underground electricity substation. This substation
required a cooling system with outlet and inlet vents.
Built in 1675 as a Baroque church. Five different churches were built
at this site. The first church, dedicated to the apostle Paul, dates
back to 604 AD. At 365 feet (111 m) high, it was the tallest building in
St. Paul's Churchyard
London from 1710 to 1962. Amazing skyline views from the top of the
Dome. Christopher Wren is buried here and Prince Charles and Lady
Diana Spencer married here in 1981. Mon-Sat (8.30-16). Admission to
the dome £14.50, £13.00 students.
Built in 2007 as a pavilion. It introduces a dynamic contemporary
structure to an area of exceptional architectural and urban heritage.
Carter Lane Gardens
A folded metallic envelope evokes the aerodynamic profile of a paper
Built in 1681 as a church. Recorded from the twelfth century, the
15/405 Queen Victoria church was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and then
rebuilt. On top of the body of the church is a balustrade. It was also
used as a location in 1968 Doctor Who serial The Invasion.
Built in 2005 when the Army's old headquarters, located on this same
site, had become too big for them. Realizing that they only needed a
Queen Victoria Street third of the space, they decided to redevelop. Rentable office space
was constructed on two thirds of the site, which paid for a new HQ. A
chapel is located immediately above the entrance. Glass is used
extensively, in order to provide transparency and a feeling of openness.
Built in 2009 as a waterside residential building. The building
incorporates small flats for weekday use as well as luxury
8 High Timber Street
apartments and penthouses. Complex planning, rights to light and St
Paul's Heights issues were addressed in the course of the design. The
best views of the building are from the other side of the river.
Built in 1996 and developed with sculptor Anthony Caro and engineers
Arup. London's only pedestrian bridge that links the City and St Paul's
Cathedral with the Globe Theatre and Tate Modern on Bankside.
Built in 1672 as a Baroque church. The church is a distinctive sight on
London's skyline and is clearly visible from a number of locations.
Standing 226 ft (69m) high, it is the second tallest of all Wren's
churches, with only St Paul's itself having a higher pinnacle.
Built in 1933 as an office building and the home of the Daily Express
newspaper. It was one of the first curtain-walled buildings in the
country. The façade is credited to Sir Owen Williams, with Ellis and
Fleet Street 121 Clarke responsible for the remainder of the original building. The Art
Deco entrance lobby by Robert Atkinson, is designed with plaster
reliefs depicting aspects of industry by Eric Aumonier. Sadly only the
protected façade and the lobby of the original building survive, having
been integrated into a huge and rather ordinary office building.
Norman Foster &
Saint Clement Danes
Saint Mary-leStrand Church
Saint Paul's (Covent
Bridge of Aspiration
R. Seifert &
Centre Point (London)
R. Seifert &
The British Museum
Foster and Partners
Sir Robert Smirke
UCL Engineering Front
UCL Paul O'Gorman
Built in 2002 as the Sainsbury's HQ. Includes meeting rooms,
auditorium, offices, restaurant and café and Sainsbury's own food
research and testing facility.
Built in 1990 as the new headquarters of ITN (Independent Television
News, the news service for the UK's commercial television stations). It
had previously belonged to The Times newspaper, and included a vast
200 Grays Inn Road
basement area for the printing presses. The Foster design exploits
this space using a full height atrium descending into the underground
levels, bringing light down and creating a rather dizzying effect for
visitors peering down from the top floor walkways.
It occupies a typical Georgian terraced house which was Charles
Dickens' home from 25 March 1837 (a year after his marriage) to
December 1839. Spread over four floors, the Charles Dickens Museum
48 Doughty St
holds the world's most important collection of paintings, rare
editions, manuscripts, original furniture and other items relating to
the life and work of Dickens. Mon-Sun (10-17). General admission £8,
Built in 1834 formerly as the home of the neo-classical architect John
Soane. Collection includes many drawings and models of Soane's
13 Lincoln's Inn Fields
projects and the collections of paintings, drawings and antiquities that
he assembled. Tue-Sat (10-17). FREE admission.
Built in 1680 to replace churches destroyed in the Great Fire of
London in 1666. Wren's building was gutted during the Blitz and not
restored until 1958 when it was adapted to its current function as the
central church of the Royal Air Force. Outside the church stand
statues of two of the RAF's (Royal Air Force) wartime leaders, Arthur
"Bomber" Harris and Hugh Dowding.
Built in 1717 as a church and it was Gibbs' first public building. It is
the official church of the Women's Royal Naval Service. The
architecture is controversial from the outset and the architect later
expressed unhappiness at the way that his plans had been altered by
the Commissioners. According to Gibbs, the church was originally
intended to be an Italianate structure with a small campanile over the
west end and no steeple. Instead of the latter, a column 250 feet (76
m) high surmounted with a statue of Queen Anne was to have been
erected to the west of the church. A great quantity of stone was
purchased and brought to the spot, but the plan was abandoned on
the death of the queen in 1714. Instead, the architect was ordered to
reuse the stone to build a steeple, altering the plan of the church.
Built in 1631 as a parish church and it was the first entirely new church
to be built in London since the reformation. In 1789 there was a major
restoration of the church, under direction of Thomas Hardwick.
Originally six steps lead up to the portico, but these disappeared as
the level of the Piazza raised gradually over the years. St Paul's
connection with the theatre began as early as 1663 with the
establishment of the Theatre Royal, and was further assured in 1723
with the opening of Covent Garden Theatre, now the Royal Opera House.
Built in 2003 as a bridge at the Royal Ballet School. It provides the
dancers of the Royal Ballet School with a direct link to the Grade 1
listed Royal Opera House. A concertina of 23 square portals with
glazed intervals are supported from an aluminum spine beam. These
rotate in sequence for the skew in alignment, performing a quarterturn overall along the length of the bridge. The result is an elegant
intervention high above the street, which evokes the fluidity and
grace of dance.
Built in 1966 as an office tower. It is the less well known sibling of
1 Kemble Street
Centre Point. In fact it could be said to be a smaller, circular version
of that building. Impressive angular precast concrete structure.
Built in 1966 as a tower office in Brutalist style. The architect is
101–103 New Oxford
known for building Tower 42. This tower is an icon of the city but the
best part it's the restaurant on the top floor. Amazing skyline views
Built in 1852 by Sir Robert Smirke as a museum formed by a
quadrangle with four wings. In 2000 the Queen Elizabeth II Great Court
Great Russell Street
got built. The collection is dedicated to human history and culture.
Mon-Sun (10-17.30) Fri (10-20.30). FREE admission.
Built in 2008 as an extension of the Roberts Building which is part of
the University College of London. Historically, the area’s built
environment dictated that most of UCL’s local buildings faced inwards,
away from the public domain. Grimshaw’s design provides a distinctive
outward-looking facade that highlights UCL’s presence.
Built in 2005 as the Paul O'Gorman Building (a new post-graduate
72 Huntley Street
medical school) which is part of the University College London Cancer.
Impressive staircase which puts together the old and new facilities.
UCLH Macmillan Cancer
Huntley Street and
Euston Road 215
Royal Institute of
66 Portland Pl
10 Weymouth Street
10 Weymouth Street
10 Hills Place
10 Hills Place
O'Donnell and Tuomey
16-18 Ramillies St
Richard Norman Shaw
2 Jermyn St
Jestico + Whiles
John Nash and Sir
Built in 2012 as a new Ambulatory Cancer Centre. The centre forms
part of Europe's largest bio-medical campus and is at the forefront
of medical research and patient care.
Built in 2005 as building office. The Wellcome Trust is a charitable
organization offering funds for biomedical research. The Gibbs Building
is its administrative Headquarters. The complex is made by two
buildings that are separated by an amazing atrium.
Built in 1930 as the RIBA (Royal Institute of British Architects) HQ.
The building houses a café with outdoor terrace and galleries hosting
exhibitions. Amazing Reading Room, British Architectural Library (one
of the three largest architectural libraries in the world). Mon-Sat.
Built in 2009 as a residential building in a transformed 1960s block.
What makes this building different is that each apartment features a
projecting balcony with a perforated brass screen which mirrors the
mews facade pattern.
Built in 2010 as the new state-of-the-art, multimedia broadcasting
centre in the heart of London. This world-class facility is the iconic
new home for the BBC’s network and global services in Television,
Radio, News and Online. Amazing central staircase. Tours (1.5 h) are
available Mon-Sun. General admission £13.75, £10.25 students.
Built in 2009 as a retail and office space. Inspired by the art work of
Lucio Fontana large glazed areas orientated towards the sky are
slashed into the façade. This sculptural form is achieved using a
system of aluminum profiles.
Built in 2012 as an extension to an existing brick and steel
warehouse. The Gallery was founded in 1971, and was the first
independent gallery in Britain that was devoted entirely to
photography. Mon-Sat (10-18), Thu (10-20). Sun (11.30-18). General
admission £4. Free admission Mon (10-18) and Thu (18-20).
Built in 2007 as a refurbishment of a 1960's commercial building. One
floor has been added to the structure to provide extra office space.
The new façade on Oxford Street, London's busiest shopping
thoroughfare consists of a number of projecting hexagonal bays, which
offer the inhabitants side views along the street.
Built in 2002 as the London Design Studio of the Ford Motor Company.
It replaced the existing 1930s Post Office building with its cramped
layout and low ceilings. Two glass elevators run in a glazed lift tower
whilst the orange-painted steel in the shaft hints at Richard Rogers'
Centre Georges Pompidou.
Built in 1819 as a road junction to connect Regent Street with the
major shopping street of Piccadilly. The Circus is particularly known
for its video display and neon signs mounted on the corner building
on the northern side (Coca-Cola has had a sign at Piccadilly Circus
since 1954.). It is surrounded by several noted buildings, including
the London Pavilion and Criterion Theatre.
Built in 1874 as a theatre with the interior decoration carried out
by Simpson and Son. The new development originally consisted of a
large restaurant, dining rooms, ballroom, and galleried concert hall.
Having commenced building work it was decided to alter the proposed
Built in 1893 as a memorial fountain and now almost universally known
as Eros. It commemorates the philanthropic works of Lord
Shaftesbury, who was a famous Victorian politician and philanthropist.
Built in 1859 for Loibl and Sonnhammer as a music hall. It is currently
a shopping arcade, and part of the Trocadero Centre.
Built in 2011 as a hotel. The new ten-storey building houses retail,
leisure and residential accommodation, a spa, 11 penthouse apartments
and a new retail-leisure experience. The façade of the hotel has been
wrapped in a second skin of frameless glazing, which is suspended from
the face of the building.
Built in 1845 as a square. In 1843 Nelson’s Column, designed by William
Railton, was erected, and in 1845, the fountains were built based on
designs thought to be by Sir Charles Barry. It has been a venue for
political demonstrations, though the authorities have often attempted
to ban them. The 1839 fountains were added on their current scale to
reduce the possibility of crowds gathering in the square as they were
not in the original plans.
Built in 1838 as a museum. The first significant alteration made to the
building was the single, long gallery added by Sir James Pennethorne
in 1860. Barry was able to build the Gallery's first sequence of grand
architectural spaces, from 1872 to 1876. The central dome is really
beautiful as well as the Staircase Hall, designed by Sir John Taylor in
1884. Collection includes paintings dating from the mid-13th century to
1900. Mon-Sun (10-18) Fri (10-21). FREE admission.
Sir John Hawkshaw
(1864) and Terry
Farrell and Partners
Built in 1721 as a landmark church. There has been a church on the
site since the medieval period. The present building was constructed in
a Neoclassical design. The church is famous for its work with homeless
people. The crypt houses a café which hosts jazz concerts whose
profits support the programs of the church. The crypt is also home to
the London Brass Rubbing Centre, an art gallery and a book and gift
Built in 1864 as a railway terminus. In 1990 most of the area over the
British Rail platforms was covered by Embankment Place, a postmodern office and shopping complex. Beautiful single span wrought iron
roof over the platforms.
Zone 2: West End
Horse Guards Ave
10 Downing Street
Big Ben - UK
Sir Charles Barry
John James (NW
St Margaret St
Henry of Reyns, John
of Gloucester and
Robert of Beverley
20 Deans Yd
Little Smith St
Queen Elizabeth II
Powell & Moya
102 Petty France
Sir Basil Spence and
Fitzroy Robinson &
102 Petty France
124 Horseferry Road
10 Downing Street
Horse Guards Parade was formerly the site of the Palace of
Whitehall's tiltyard, where tournaments (including jousting) were held in
the time of Henry VIII. It was also the scene of annual celebrations of
the birthday of Queen Elizabeth I. The area has been used for a variety
of reviews, parades and other ceremonies since the 17th century. The
Changing of the Queen’s Life Guard takes place daily on Horse Guards
Parade at 11am (10am Sundays). The Daily Inspection takes place at 4pm
(Front Yard Whitehall). The museum is open Mon-Sun and general
admission is £6.00.
Built in 1619 as a residence palace and was the first building to be
completed in the neo-classical style. Built for Henry VIII who was
determined that his new palace should be the "biggest palace in
Christendom". Tours are available. Mon-Sun (10-18). General admission
£5.50, £4.40 full time students. (£4.95/£3.85 if you buy it online).
Built in 1684 originally as three houses to Downing, a notorious spy
for Oliver Cromwell and later Charles II. The largest of the three
houses that were combined to make up Number 10. 10 Downing Street
is the official residence and the office of the British Prime Minister.
It can't be visited but the web offers a "virtual tour".
Built in 2001 as an office building to provide offices for 213 Members
of Parliament and their staff. The building itself was designed to look
and feel like a ship inside. All the offices and passages are made up
with bowed windows and light oak finishing. The beautiful thing about
this building is that it incorporates Westminster tube station below it.
Big Ben is the nickname for the great bell of the clock at the north
end of the Palace of Westminster in London built in 1870 and
destroyed by fire in 1834. Its replacement is where the New Palace
that stands today. Tours of the interior are available in summer for
non-residents. General admission £16.50, £14 students. Book tickets
Built in 1523 as a Gothic church. Beautiful interiors. John Sutton, 3rd
Baron Dudley was buried here.
Built in 1245 as an abbey in Gothic style. It has the highest Gothic
vault in England (nearly 102 feet) and it was made to seem higher
by making the aisles narrow. The Museum is housed in the
magnificent vaulted undercroft beneath the former monks' dormitory
(one of the oldest areas of the Abbey). Collection includes royal and
other funeral effigies. Mon-Sun (9.30-18). FREE admission.
Although it is likely that schoolboys were taught by monks well
beforehand, by 1179 Westminster School had certainly become a
public school. Located at the medieval monastery at Westminster
Abbey. The poet John Dryden, philosopher John Locke, scientist
Robert Hooke, composer Henry Purcell and architect Christopher
Wren were pupils here. In 1967, the first female pupil was admitted
to the Upper School. It works as a preparatory private school for
day pupils between the ages of 8 to 13.Notable buildings of the
complex include the Abbey, St John's and Ashburnham House by Inigo
Jones (now library).
Built in 1986 as a conference center and is owned by HM
Government. It has four main auditoria, seven conference rooms and
many smaller rooms. The building itself is quite ugly. The best part
of it is the view of the Westminster School in front of it.
Built in 1976 as the Ministry of Justice. Its brutalist design made it
sometimes known to those who worked there as "the irredeemable
horror"<----- (haha). The winter garden is actually quite nice.
Built in 1994 as a tower office for Channel 4 headquarters, broadcasting
suites and a studio, an underground car park and a landscaped garden
square. The courtyard is a must visit. The Big 4 is a 50-foot-high metal
'4' outside that variety of artists have provided ‘skins' for the
76-98 Victoria St
William Winde, John
Nash and Edward
Alison and Peter
25 St. James' Street
western corner of
7 July Memorial
Carmody Groarke and
SE corner at Hyde
Tadao Ando and Blair
South Molton Street
South Molton Street
and Davies Street
Welbeck Street Car
Squire & Partners
12 Picton Pl
55 Baker Street
55 Baker Street
The Rolling Bridge
Grand Union Canal at
North Wharf Road
John Francis Bentley
42 Francis St
Built in 1903 as the mother church of the Catholic community in
England and Wales. Beautiful Neo-Byzantine style. The Campanile
Bell Tower of Westminster Cathedral was featured prominently in
the Alfred Hitchcock film Foreign Correspondent, at which the
attempted murder of a journalist played by Joel McCrea took place.
Built in 2006 as a complex of offices, retail and restaurant spaces.
Microsoft UK currently occupies the first floor. Impressive corner,
especially at night.
Built in 1703 as a large townhouse built for the Duke of Buckingham.
It is now the official London residence and principal workplace of
the British monarch. The famous Guard Mounting (process involving a
new guard exchanging duty with the old guard) takes place only
some days (check website). Tours are available in summer 2-31 Ago
(9.30-19) 1-19 Sept (9.30-18). General admission £19.75, £18 students.
Built in 1965 as a tower office. The modest development based on the
tower and plaza format, achieves rare elegance and structural logic,
while showing great consideration for its sensitive location amongst
the 18th Century streets of London’s St James.
Built in 1830 as a monument to commemorate Britain's victories in the
Napoleonic Wars. Much of the intended exterior ornamentation was
omitted as a cost-saving exercise necessitated by the King's
overspending on the refurbishment of Buckingham Palace, which was
underway at the same time.
Created in 1637 as a public park. It was the site of the Great
Exhibition of 1851, for which the Crystal Palace was designed by
Joseph Paxton. The park is contiguous with Kensington Gardens. The
Grand Entrance to the park was erected from the designs of Decimus
Burton in 1824–25.
The memorial comprises 52 stainless steel pillars (stelae), collectively
representing each of the 52 victims, grouped together in four interlinking clusters reflecting the four locations of the incidents.
Constructed from solid-cast, long-lasting stainless steel, each stelae
measures 3.5 metres high and is unique, with individual characteristic
finishes brought about by the casting process.
Since 1872 it's an area where open-air public speaking, debate and
discussion are allowed. It has become a traditional site for public
speeches and debate, as well as the main site of protest and
assembly in Britain.
Built in 1833 as triumphal arch. Designed to be the state entrance to
the court d'honneur of Buckingham palace; but was relocated here. The
design of the arch is based on that of the Arch of Constantine in
Built in 2011 as a raised granite-edged pool. Atomisers hidden at the
base of the trees create clouds of water vapor for fifteen seconds
every fifteen minutes.
Built in 2012 as a new mixed-use development comprising retail, office
space and residential. The six-storey building is the brand
headquarters and flagship store for Bosideng, China’s largest retailer.
Built in 1969 as a multistory car park. Designed for Debenhams in 1971,
it sits like a block-sized sculpture, its elongated diamond-shaped
prefabricated concrete panels locked together into mesmeric and
scaleless pattern that genuflects to the oddities of its historical
boundary. The building acts as an interface between cars and the city.
It resolves this often troubling relationship beautifully, a structure for
cars articulated as a fully urban phenomenon.
Built in 2009 as Reiss HQ. The flagship Reiss store is located on the
first two floors, and above it three storeys of offices, cutting rooms
and design studios. Amazing dynamic and translucent façade, especially
beautiful at night.
Built in 2008 as an office building and is radical renovation of a 1950s
office building. Three glass infills or ‘masks’ span the voids between
existing blocks to create a new facade for the building, with the
central glazed section enclosing a seven-storey atrium which is open
to the public.
Built in 2004 as a pedestrian bridge. Crucially, the bridge needed to
open to allow access for the boat moored in the inlet. It opens by
slowly and smoothly curling until it transforms from a conventional,
straight bridge, into a circular sculpture which sits on the bank of the
Built in 2004 as the new corporate headquarters for Marks &
Spencer, it comprises 13 storeys. The geometry allows for the
creation of dynamic triangular corner offices that afford spectacular
views across the city.
The Point (London)
N Wharf Road
Zaha Hadid (2014)
Diana, Princess of
Southwest corner of
Hyde Park Barracks
Arne Jacobsen and
Dissing + Weitling
55 Sloane St
7-10 Cottage Place
7-10 Cottage Place
Victoria and Albert
Sir Richard Allison
C.F. Møller Architects
Walter Gropius and
68 Old Church Street
Erich Mendelsohn and
66 Old Church Street
Built in 2003, it provides a striking 10-storey office block situated on
the waterfront of Paddington Basin. It was the first building
completed at Paddington Basin as part of Farrells' 1996 masterplan.
Built in 1854 as a train station. Brunel was deeply influenced by the
design and construction of the Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition
of 1851, and this can be seen in his use of wrought iron and glass in
the three-span roof at Paddington. The station decoration, including
the iron tracery on the train shed screens, was provided by Matthew
Built in 1997 as an extension to the London Paddington station. The
key addition to the existing building is the creation of a new
passenger waiting and check-in facility. The scheme preserves the
best of the original 1930s architectural work including its classical
stone facades, but adds a pre-cast concrete structure with glass
bridges and mezzanine decks contained by a lightweight steel and
glass trussed roof.
Built in 2009 as a temporary exposition. Each year keeps changing;
this 2014 is by Zaha Hadid. Some architects who have built their
pavilion here are SANAA, Rem Koolhas and Sou Fujimoto. FREE
Built in 2004 as a memorial dedicated to Diana, Princess of Wales, who
died in a car crash in 1997. It was designed to express Diana's spirit
and love of children.
Built in 1970 as a residential tower. Spence’s design was subject to a
rigorous planning battle over the scheme’s central component, the 29storey residential tower, and its impact on the park.
Built in 2011 as a new residential development. Renowned lighting
artist, James Turrell has created a unified lighting concept that
interacts with the development’s architecture. It includes perimeter
lighting for the five glass stair and lift structures and a colorful
Built in 1977 as an embassy. It makes a formal accommodation to its
surroundings, with its five even bays corresponding to the street's
house widths. On the ground floor of the front facade this simple
geometry in painted metal cladding is complemented by an abstract,
geometric concrete mural by the Danish painter and sculptor Ole
Built in 2012 as a private house. Its massing echoes that of the
demolished structure and the eastern side is terraced to maximise the
amount of daylight received by the adjacent properties. Window
frames, balustrades and doors are formed from bronze.
Built in 1884 as a large neo-classical Roman Catholic Church. The
church is faced in Portland stone, with the vaults and dome in
Built in 1899 as a museum. Collection spans 5,000 years of art, from
ancient times to the present day, from the cultures of Europe, North
America, Asia and North Africa. Mon-Sun (10-17.45) Fri (10-22). FREE
Built in 1919 as a public museum. In November 2003, the Science
Museum opened the Dana Centre. The centre is an urban bar and café
annexed to the museum. It was designed by MJP Architects. Mon-Sun
(10-19). FREE admission.
Built in 2004 as the new College Business School, which acts as an
entrance to Imperial College’s South Kensington campus on Exhibition
Road. The entire new-build element, together with a new College
entrance, is cloaked in a protective envelope, creating a year round
usable atrium space within. Make sure you visit its interior.
Built in 1883 as a museum. The original plans included wings on either
side of the main building, but these plans were soon abandoned for
budgetary reasons. The space these would have occupied are now
taken by the Earth Galleries and Darwin Centre. Amazing interiors in
terracotta tiles. Mon-Sun (10-17.50). Free admission.
Built in 2007 as part of the Natural History Museum. Its main part,
the ‘Cocoon’, an architectural translation which forms the inner
protective envelope cannot be seen in its entirety from any one
position. This emphasizes its massive scale.
Built in 1935 as a new home of playwright and politician, Benn Levy
and his wife, actress, Constance Cummings. It has been altered beyond
recognition. Levy, worked on Alfred Hitchcock’s first ‘talkie’, Blackmail,
in 1929 and wrote a number of plays staged in the West End. During
the post-war period, Levy was also Labour MP for Eton and Slough.
Built in 1935-6 as a private house for the Cohen family. The large
conservatory was designed by Norman Foster in the 1970s.
41 Tite St
Roca London Gallery
Located at Duke of York's Headquarters which was built in 1801 to the
designs of John Sanders and was redeveloped in 2003. Collection
includes contemporary art. Mon-Sun (10-18). FREE admission.
Built in 2001 as a private house. Singular crafted quality that can be
seen from its remarkable red marble façade. Apparently the interiors
are even more amazing and it has details beyond the unexpected.
Built in 2011 as a showroom in London for Spanish bathroom brand
Roca. The Gallery will host a wide range of social and cultural events,
including exhibitions, meetings, presentations, debates and receptions.
Zone 3: East End
Architects (new wing)
17 Old Nichol Street
17 Old Nichol Street
Chance Street 2-4
2-4 Bethnal Green Rd
Ashfield Street 84A
St George In The
14 Cannon Street Rd
1 West India Quay
1 West India Quay
One Canada Square
1, Canada Square
5 Canada Square
Skidmore Owings &
5 Canada Square
8 Canada Square
8 Canada Square
Foster and Partners
Pelli Clarke Pelli
25-33 Canada Square
One Churchill Place
1 Churchill Place
25 Bank Street
Cesar Pelli &
25 Bank Street
Skidmore, Owings and
136 Kingsland Road
Built in 1714 as the Ironmongers' Company. The museum shows the
changing style of the English domestic interior in a series of eleven
displayed period rooms from 1600 to the present day. Tue-Sun (10-17).
Built in 2005 as a mixed-used development. Amazing use of materials,
the façade treatment echoes the previous building on the site, but
with a contemporary treatment. Timber gives a more domestic feeling.
Built in 2002 as a private house from a converted turn-of-thecentury timber factory. The existing building was stripped down to an
empty shell leaving just the external brickwork walls. Most of the
structure was also removed, and replaced with two double height
studio spaces for the artist owners.
Built in 2011 as a temporary shopping center made of industrial
containers. Amazing spaces.
Built in 2006 as a Laboratory for the College of Medicine and
Dentistry. The design team developed the building's form around two
primary concepts. Firstly, to foster better integration of the science
disciplines through the provision of an open-plan environment; and
secondly, to create a building which broadcasts its purpose, achieved
by the development of a seductively transparent building envelope.
Occupying the site of a former shoe factory, this house - for two
artists - caused a stir when first completed in 2000 because of its
lack of windows. Built cheaply, the street elevation is clad with
phenolic resin faced ply - normally used for casting concrete. The only
window clearly visible is on the rear elevation.
Built in 1729 as an Anglican church. The church was hit by a bomb
during the Second World War Blitz on London's docklands in May 1941.
The original interior was destroyed by the fire, but the walls and
distinctive "pepper-pot" towers stayed up. In 1964 a modern (and
horrible) church interior was constructed inside the existing walls.
Built in 2004. It is 111 metres (364 feet) tall and has 33 floors (not
including roof). The bottom 12 floors house a Marriott Hotel, including
47 serviced suites on floors 9-12. Floors 13-33 house 158 apartments.
Built in 1991 as an office skyscraper. One of the predominant features
of the building is the pyramid roof which contains a flashing aircraft
warning light, a rare feature for buildings in the UK. The building
consists of nearly 16,000 pieces of steel, which forms both the
structural frame and the exterior cladding.
Built in 2003 and the principal tenant is the European arm and HQ of
Bank of America Securities.
Built in 2002 as the HSBC HQ in London. There are 45 floors in the
200 m (656 ft) high tower. It contains meeting rooms, shops, cafés,
kitchen and medical facilities.
Built in 2001 as a building complex that houses Citigroup's EMEA
headquarters. It consists of two merged buildings - 33 Canada Square
(known as "CGC1" and the smaller of the two) and 25 Canada Square
(known as "CGC2").
Built in 2005 as the headquarters of Barclays Bank. The building was
planned to be 50 stories in height, but was scaled down to 31 after
the 9/11 terrorist attacks.
Built in 2003 as the European headquarters of the investment bank
J.P. Morgan & Co. During the development phase, the five buildings
were designated HQ1 to HQ5, with 25 Bank Street designated as HQ2.
25 Bank Street, along with its neighbors HQ3 (40 Bank Street) and
HQ4 (50 Bank Street) were all designed by César Pelli in the
International style. 25 Bank Street and 40 Bank Street, which are of
equal height, are conjoined by the West Winter Garden glass.
Built in 2009 as a residential development. It consists of two towers the taller one is 147 meters and 48 storeys. It has private cinema and
terraced restaurant. The amazing cocktail bar on the 48th floor is
open Tue (17-23) Wed-Thu (17-00) Fri-Sat (17-2).
The Robin Hood
Alison & Peter
Built in 1972 as a social housing complex with homes spread across
'streets in the sky': social housing characterized by broad aerial
walkways in long concrete blocks. Robin Hood Gardens was built in
post-war Britain when residential towers were being built as a symbol
of progress after the war.
Zone 4: North
166-220 Holloway Rd
Caruso St John
6-24 Britannia Street
King's Cross Station
John McAslan +
William H. Barlow
The British Library
Colin St John Wilson
96 Euston Rd
St Martin's Art
1 Granary Square
180 York Way
Vale Royal 15-23
Hotel, Bed &
66 Camden Square
17-21 Camden Road
Grand Union Canal
Grand Union Canal
Kentish Town Road 20
Built in 2004 as the Graduate Student Centre for the London
Metropolitan University. The Centre is composed of three intersecting
volumes with a distinctive presence on the street and unique interior
Built in 2005 as a contemporary art gallery.
There are currently eleven gallery spaces: three in New York; two in
London; one in each of Beverly Hills, Rome, Athens, Paris, Geneva and
Hong Kong. Tue-Sat (10-18). FREE admission.
Built in 2007 as a mixed-use building. The horizontally layered amalgam
of 846 student rooms, 50 market and 14 affordable apartments,
offices, retail and private and communal courts makes this a new
mixed-use model for London that describes the commercial,
environmental and architectural potential for re-using structures.
Built in 2012 as a transformation of the original King’s Cross Station
of Lewis Cubitt’s built in 1852. It involves three very different styles
of architecture: re-use restoration and new build. The train shed and
range buildings have been adapted and re-used, the station’s
previously obscured Grade I listed façade is being precisely restored,
and a new, highly expressive Western Concourse has been designed as
a centerpiece and the ‘beating heart’ of the project.
Built in 1868 as one of the oldest train stations in London and at the
time was the largest single-span roof in the world. After escaping
planned demolition in the 1960s, the complex was renovated and
expanded during the 2000s. St Pancras International remains one of
the greatest Victorian buildings in London.
Built in 1998 as the national library of the United Kingdom. In the
middle of the building a six-storey glass tower contains 65,000 printed
volumes along with other pamphlets, manuscripts and maps collected
by King George III btw 1763 and 1820. Facing Euston Road is a large
piazza that includes pieces of public art, such as large sculptures by
Eduardo Paolozzi (a bronze statue based on William Blake's study of
Isaac Newton) and Antony Gormley. Open to the public and without
charge. Mon-Thu (9.30-20) Fri (9.30-18) Sat (9.30-17) Sun (10-17).
The square rebuilt in 2012 where barges once unloaded their goods.
This aquatic history has been worked into the new design, which is
animated with over 1,000 choreographed fountains - each individually
lit. You can watch the fountains daily between 8am and 7pm. They're
at their most spectacular at night. Amazing atmosphere, especially in
summer. Don't miss the Caravan Restaurant.
Is one of a number of colleges that recently came together under the
banner of University of the Arts London. Originally designed by Lewis
Cubitt, the architect of King’s Cross station, the iconic building is the
front door to the new university campus.
Built in 2008 as an educational center. The building detailing is used
as a ‘lesson in construction’ for the students: ceiling soffits are
exposed, as are the building services; where possible wall systems are
exposed; the plant room is caged; workshop and stair floors are
exposed concrete and coated with a dust sealer.
Built in 2003 as a workshop space for the sculptor Antony Gormley.
The building itself is a linear composition, lying east-west at the rear
of a yard and consists of 7 pitched-roofed bays, each two storeys
high. Although it's a private property, sometimes public tours are
Built in two-bedroom B&B, made from African teak and glass. It is
decorated with items Roger and his wife Sue have collected from their
Built in 1988 as a supermarket. The scheme sits on top of an
underground car park, created as part of the development.
Built in 1989 as a residential complex part of the Sainsbury’s
supermarket commission in Camden. Residential units were a
requirement of planning and Grimshaw negotiated that these should
take the form of individual houses rather than a block of flats.
Built in 1988 as an office building part of the Sainsbury's supermarket
Camden development. It comprises of a four storey linear concrete
frame structure, the upper two levels of which are completely clad
with profiled metal.
James Morgan, with
Camden Lock Market
54-56 Camden Lock Pl
Chalk Farm Road +
Camden High Street
The Jewish Museum
129-131 Albert St
Oval Road 1 - 12
Northern side of
Proctor & Matthews
Farrell & Partners
Park Road 125
Lord's Media Centre
Saint John's Wood
Lord's Grand Stand
St John's Wood Rd
52-54 Bell Street
The locks were constructed between 1818 and 1820 as a twin-lock on
the Canal. A regular waterbus service operates from Camden, heading
westwards around Regent's Park. Tours last 50 min. Round tickets
By the early 1970s the canal trade had ceased and a northern urban
motorway was planned that would cut through the site, making any
major permanent redevelopment impossible, and in 1974 a temporary
market was established. By 1976, when plans for the motorway were
abandoned, the market had become a well known feature of Camden
Town. Don't miss amazing Camden Stables. Mon-Sun (10-18).
This industrial area is now one of the most alternative neighborhoods,
internationally-known for its markets and music venues.
Founded in 1932 an located in this building since 1995. The museum
houses a major international-level collection of Jewish ceremonial art.
Sun-Thu (10-17) Fri (10-14). General admission £7.50, £6.50. Admission
is free to the Welcome Gallery, museum shop and café.
Built in 2005 as a residential complex made of two buildings.
Externally the building is clad with limestone panels, substituted with
render on the rear elevations with dark aluminum trim sections.
It was once part of a great chase appropriated by Henry VIII. Later, in
1841, it became Crown property and in 1842 an Act of Parliament
secured the land as public open space. Amazing skyline views from
Opened in 1828 as the Zoo of London. Decimus Burton was the Zoo’s
official architect from 1826 to 1841 and had designed for his father
the first house to be allowed in Regent’s Park called The Holme, at
the tender age of eighteen. He designed: the Clock Tower (1828), The
Raven’s Cage (1829), East Tunnel (1829-30), Three Island Pond (1832),
Giraffe House (1836-7).
Built in 2013 as a massive redevelopment enclosure for tigers. It
consists of a metal canopy made of 3mm steel cable (tigers are
capable of jumping 5m from a standing start) that fades into the
background so tigers are the protagonists.
Built in 2007 as a lightweight structure and landscaped exhibit for the
gorillas. It uses a translucent roof in the gorilla indoor area to reduce
the need for artificial lighting and to create a more naturally lit
space. The covered walkway structure is made from sustainably
sourced ply-wood and hardwood used is from reclaimed Indian railway
sleepers. Structural bamboo was selected to support the structure
for its strength, aesthetics and low embodied-carbon properties.
In 1811 the Prince Regent (later King George IV) commissioned architect
John Nash to create a master plan for the area. The park was first
opened to the general public in 1835, initially for two days a week. On
15 January 1867, forty people died when the ice cover on the
boating lake collapsed and over 200 people plunged into the lake. The
lake was subsequently drained and its depth reduced to four feet
before being reopened to the public. It contains Regent's College and
the London Zoo.
Built in 1968 as an apartment building and one of the first buildings
by the firm. In its day it was considered highly innovative and it was
the first residential project to feature a load-bearing central core
housing all the kitchens and bathrooms. Externally the most unusual
features are the rounded corners, featuring curved windows, and the
use of industrial profiled metal cladding sheets. Nick Grimshaw lived in
the building with his family for six years.
Built in 1999 as the NatWest Media Centre at Lord's. It's the first all
aluminum semi-monococque building in the world and represents a
breakthrough, not just in the creation of a new 3D aesthetic but in its
method of construction. This building was built and fitted out not by
the construction industry but by a boatyard, using the very latest
advances in boat building technology.
Built in 1995 as a cricket venue and is part of a development program
initiated by the MCC to consolidate Lord's world-class facilities in time
for the 1999 Cricket World Cup.
Built in 1899 as the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations.
The design is in a modest, uninflated domestic version of the
"Wrenaissance" revival style that harmonizes with the residential
surroundings with Dutch gables.
Built in 1992 as one of Britain’s most exciting and interesting private
art galleries. A subtle L-shaped space, built in two phases, combines
two distinct galleries, each with its own street-front and entrance –
one at Bell Street, the other at Lisson Street. Over time this
arrangement has been lost, and the exhibition spaces have grown to
become a single building, with the Bell Street front as its main icon.
Little Venice Sport
Crompton Street 10
255 Harrow Road
7 Golborne Rd
Built in 2010 as the new flagship Campus for City of Westminster
College. The building is designed to embrace interaction and diversity
and allow students to learn from each other, both formally and
informally. Amazing main staircase and atrium.
Built in 2009 as a sport facility. The primary architectural feature is
the sweeping green sedum roof. The centre primarily services local
schools, providing a much-needed and modern amenity in the local
Built in 2008 as The Naim Dangoor Centre. Westminster Academy’s
open configuration of spaces is as much a creative workplace as it is
a theatre of learning. A long, rectangular block, stratified with glass
panels and colored bands of terracotta tiles, rises up out of its
gritty context to provide a civic landmark.
Built in 1972 as a residential tower in Brutalist style. The building
contains 217 flats and was completed at a time when high-rise tower
blocks were going out of fashion as local authorities were beginning
to realize the social problems they caused. It has gone through
numerous phases of public perception, most notably its notorious
nickname as the “Tower of Terror.” Serious problems exist with the
existing facade system. The building was designed several years
before the 1970s energy crisis, and the facade system does not
manage heat at all.
Zone 5: South
Built in 2010 as a luxury residential building. The site was formerly
occupied by an early 20th-century flour mill, closed during the 1980s.
Its context is extremely varied – to the east, high-rise 1960s housing,
surviving older terraces and villas and, to the west, the listed 18thcentury church of St Mary at the river’s edge. The scheme consists of
five connected blocks which step down to four storeys where it abuts
the church, rising to a full 20 storeys on the north-eastern extremity
of the site.
Built in 2003 as a mixed-use development. The scheme comprises four
separate buildings linked by new public spaces and routes. Best views
of the building from the other side of the river.
Built in the 1930s as a coal-fired power station which is now
decommissioned. It is one of the best known landmarks in London. The
station's celebrity owes much to numerous cultural appearances, which
include a shot in The Beatles' 1965 movie Help!, appearing in the video
for the 1982 hit single "You've Got Another Thing Comin'" by heavy
metal band Judas Priest and being used in the cover art of Pink
Floyd's 1977 album Animals. The station is the largest brick building in
Europe and is notable for its original, lavish Art Deco interior fittings
and decor. It is currently being redeveloped by Rafael Vinoly to be a
Built in 1994 as he headquarters of the British Secret Intelligence
Service (SIS) (also known as "MI6"). It is known as "Legoland" and also
"Babylon-on-Thames" due to its resemblance to an ancient Babylonian
ziggurat. Featured in James Bond film ‘The World Is Not Enough’.
Built in 2006 as a residential building. The scheme reinterprets the
terrace with 21st century requirements for density, planning flexibility,
sustainability, ownership and security. The coloured facade creates
cohesion between the four blocks and the individual flats.
Built in 2010 as a residential tower and is one of the tallest
residential buildings in London (148-metre, 43-storeys). The first
building in the world with integral wind turbines, it also sets a new
benchmark in terms of environmental strategy.
Built in 2004 as a residential building. Located on a difficult site,
which overlooks the railway line to Waterloo. The interior is spatially
complex, consisting of interpenetrating volumes set over several
levels and staircases likened to an M C Escher puzzle.
Built in 2010 as one of the biggest hotels in Europe. Amazing staircase
which leads to the first floor reception and many of the public areas
including the lounge, restaurant and the Primo bar.
100 Battersea Church
Dr. Leonard Pearce,
Allott, T. P.
O'Sullivan and Theo
188 Kirtling St
14 Wansey Street
8 Walworth Road
No. 1 Centaur Street
1 Centaur Street
Frank Anatole, Nic
Bailey, Julia Barfield,
Steve Chilton, Malcolm
Cook, David Marks, Mark
Built in 2000 as a giant Ferris wheel. It has a diameter of 120 m
(394 ft) making it Europe's tallest Ferris wheel. Amazing skyline views
from here. General admission £26.55 (online purchase).
Built in 1993 as a station. The building design of the western side is
clad in glass, providing arriving passengers with views of Westminster.
Underground, a two-storey viaduct supports the platforms and
incorporates two floors of passenger facilities: Departures and
Royal Festival Hall
Sir Robert Matthew
and Dr Leslie Martin
Warren Chalk and
Denys Lasdun and
Upper Ground, South
Barge House St
Union St at
Rogers and Stirk
Harbour + Partners
Holland St. and
Tate Modern Art
Herzog & de Meuron
21 New Globe Walk
Rolfe Judd Architects
Sir Robert Smirke
8 Southwark St
Great Maze Pon
The Shard Tower
7 More London
London City Hall
The Queen's Walk
Built in 1951 as a concert, dance and talks venue. They were
concerned that whilst the scale of the project demanded a monumental
building, it should not ape the triumphal classicism of many earlier
public buildings. Renovated from 2005-07 aimed at improving the poor
acoustics and building layout, led by architects Allies and Morrison.
Built in 1968 as a museum. It is an outstanding example of sixties
brutalist architecture and is one of the few remaining buildings of this
style. The current Hayward Gallery exhibition is the first major survey
of Turner Prize-winning artist Martin Creed’s playful, thoughtprovoking art. Mon (12-18) Tue-Sun (10-18) Thu-Fri (10-20). General
admission £11, £9 students.
Built in 1976 as a theatre. It houses three separate auditoria, with a
temporary structure added for a year from April 2013. The theatre
presents a varied program, including Shakespeare and other
international classic drama; and new plays by contemporary
playwrights. Amazing views of St. Paul's Cathedral from the terraces.
Mon-Sat (9.30- 11) Sun (12-18).
Originally constructed as a power station for the Post Office but was
largely rebuilt to an Art Deco design between 1928 and 1929. In the
1990s the tower was refurbished to a design by Liftschutz Davidson
to include housing, a restaurant, shops and exhibition space. Amazing
skyline views from its rooftop.
Built in 2006 as an office building. The building consists of a series of
three distinct interconnected volumes. Impressive façades and access.
Built in 2012 as residential complex made of 5 separate buildings. The
proposal seeks to achieve a contemporary architectural language which
responds creatively to, and mediates between, the articulation and
colouration of the local architectural context.
London’s Bankside Power Station stood disused from 1981 until 2000,
when it opened to the public as The Tate Modern, a modern art
gallery. The impressive cultural icon has since become the most visited
museum of modern art in the world. Sun-Thu (10-18), Fri-Sat (10-22).
Built in 1599 by Shakespeare's playing company, the Lord Chamberlain's
Men, and was destroyed by fire on 1613. A modern reconstruction of
the Globe, named "Shakespeare's Globe", opened in 1997 approximately
750 feet (230 m) from the site of the original theatre. Tours are
available every 30 min Mon-Sun (9-17.30). General admission £13.50,
Built in 2007 as part of an Urban Regeneration mixed use. The scheme
consists of three separate buildings set around a central triangular
square, in which a restaurant pavilion is inserted.
Built in 1851 as one of the largest and oldest food markets in London.
Beautiful entrance designed in the Art Deco style added on Southwark
Street in 1932. Must visit.
Built in 1106 as a Parish church. The church was severely damaged in
the Great Fire of 1212. Rebuilding took place during the 13th c. There
is a large stained glass window dedicated to William Shakespeare,
depicting scenes from his plays. Parts of the Doctor Who episode "The
Lazarus Experiment" take place at Southwark Cathedral but, although
the exterior appears, the interior shots were filmed at Wells
Built in 2007 as an undulating facade of woven steel panels encasing
the boiler house at Guy's Hospital in London. It has long been held
that the environment often influences how you feel: therefore having
attractive hospitals is important. Recognizing this, the hospital decided
upon an upgrade and, with the collaboration of the Crafts Council,
commissioned Thomas Heatherwick to refurbish the exterior. The
building is specially illuminated for night-time appreciation (don't come
here during day time). A distinctive and welcoming icon for staff,
patients and visitors.
Built in 2013 as an 87-storey skyscraper, and is currently the tallest
building in Europe. The expressive façades of angled glass panes
intended to reflect sunlight and the sky above, so that the
appearance of the building will change according to the weather and
seasons. The rooftop called "The View" can be visited, admission
£24.95 (online booking).
Built in 2010 as PwC Headquarters in London. The building incorporates
a range of energy saving strategies. In addition to a high-performance
façade designed to offer shade and insulation, the building features
solar hot water panels, green roofs and fully automated building
management and metering systems.
Built in 2003 as the headquarters of the Greater London Authority.
City Hall advances themes explored in the Reichstag, expressing the
Fashion and Textile
St Mary Magdalen
George Porter (1830)
193 Bermondsey St
Long Walk at Abbey
21 Surrey Quays Rd
Laban Dance Centre
Herzog & de Meuron
King Charles Court,
Royal Naval College
The O2 Arena
Populous (then HOK
Cable Car London
North Greenwich (on
the Jubilee line) and
Royal Victoria (on the
(concept) and by
Rendel, Palmer and
1 Unity Way, Woolwich
Zone 6: Outskirts
Chiswick House and
The Estate, Chiswick
Chiswick House Cafe
Caruso St John
East from Chiswick
Kew Gardens Bridge
transparency and accessibility of the democratic process and
demonstrating the potential for a sustainable, virtually non-polluting
public building. Its shape achieves optimum energy performance by
maximizing shading and minimising the surface area exposed to direct
sunlight. Amazing interior helical staircase.
Built in 2002 as a museum on a previous industrial building of the
fifties which was adapted to accommodate housing, museum and the
workshop of the talented fashion designer Zandra Rhodes. The
intention was to relate architecture to Zandra's designs (who is noted
for her extremely colourful work.) making good use of color to bring
light and happiness.
The current building was completed in 1690 and further alterations
were made under the supervision of the architect George Porter in
1830. Visible in the church are two fine carved stone capitals of
medieval date which are almost certainly parts of the structure of
Built in 2010 as a residential complex. This project is outstanding
because it dealt pretty well with the constraints it had: noisy roads,
sustainability requirements and a sensitive historic site. Have a look
at the facade details.
Built in 2011 as a public library. In response to Southwark Councils
brief, CZWG’s key challenge was to design a space which would
accommodate the distinctly different requirements of the main users
groups – adults, children and young persons in a building where the
floor area required for the library space was far larger than the
available footprint for the building on the given site.
Built in 1619 as a residential house for Anne of Denmark, the queen of
King James I of England. It was Jones's first major commission after
returning from his 1613–1615 grand tour of Roman, Renaissance and
Palladian architecture in Italy. The Queen's House is nowadays part of
the National Maritime Museum. Mon-Sun (10-17). FREE admission.
Built in 2004 as the largest school for contemporary dance in the
world. The curving facades are clad in transparent or translucent
glass panels, depending on whether the spaces behind them require a
Built in 2007 as a multi-purpose indoor arena. It is named after its
main sponsor, the telecommunications company O2. Its cinema is the
biggest 3D cinema screen in Europe.
It's the only cable car in London and is owned by the Emirates Air
Line. Amazing skyline views from the ride across the Thames between
Greenwich Peninsula and the Royal Docks. Cabins arrive every 30
seconds and flights usually last 10 minutes. (5 minutes before 9am and
between 5pm and 6:30pm). Tickets are FREE.
Built in 1982. Its purpose is to prevent the floodplain of all but the
easternmost boroughs of Greater London from being flooded by
exceptionally high tides and storm surges moving up from the North
Sea. It can be visited Thu-Sun (10.30-17). General admission £3,75.
Created in 1888 as open parkland. The hill, which is 98 m (322 ft) high,
is known for its amazing skyline views.
Built in 1729 as the finest remaining example of Neo-Palladian
architecture in London. The gardens at Chiswick were an attempt to
symbolically recreate a garden of ancient Rome which were believed to
have followed the form of the gardens of Greece. Beautiful Ionic
Temple in the Orange Tree Garden that you shouldn't miss. The Inigo
Jones gateway, bought by Lord Burlington from Sir Hans Sloane either.
Built in 2010, the new cafe is part of a wider master plan for the
regeneration of the whole of Chiswick Gardens, a site of international
importance both as the location of great innovations in English
In 2006, Kew installed the first ever bridge across the lake. Named
the Sackler Crossing, in honor of philanthropists Dr Mortimer and
Theresa Sackler whose donation made it possible, it was designed by
the architect John Pawson and is located just west of the lake’s most
easterly island. The striking black granite walkway carries visitors low
over the water along a curving path that mimics the lake’s rounded
banks. Its walls are a series of vertical, flat bronze posts. On
approaching the bridge, these give the appearance of forming a solid
wall but when viewed sideways on they appear almost invisible. This is
akin to the ways in which water can appear both solid and fluid.
ULR map: http://goo.gl/maps/uxL5o
Subway map: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/modalpages/2625.aspx
Note: Directions are given in order of neighborhoods following this diagram.
City of London (Piccadilly- Euston Rd-Tower Hill- Thames)
West End (Picadilly-Marylebone-Thames)
East End (Tower Hill-Thames)
North (Marylebone-Euston Rd)
South (South of Thames)